Sunday 2 December 2012

DIY - Wrist warmers

I started playing yesterday with some of my stash in an effort to "wash my hands" of a particularly nasty acrylic I am currently working with.

I had managed to collect some lovely Alpacas ...
From the top: Artesano 100% Alpaca DK in 8774 Ecuador
Drops Alpaca in 2925 Rust
Hjertegarn Alpaca Silk in 1890 Deep Pink
Drops Alpaca in 2921 Pink
Classic Elite Yarns Alpaca Sox in 1850 Fruit Salad
Drops Alpaca in 8120 Denim/Green
 ... and thought I would have a go at this lovely image from a Korean blog 



I started with 40 chains and followed her pattern ... the main trick is that you are crocheting 2 rows at a time before you turn your work.


I misread the pattern and crocheted a dc in between the fans instead of a deep sc but I really liked the effect. I have to say I wasn't happy with the fact that I had to seam it. Not the best photo in the world ... 
For the second arm, I decided to crochet in the round and closed the Chain 40 and just work my way up the pattern that way. Once I had finished the fit was a bit loose so I decided to add a cuff.
I chained 280 chains and then did 5 rows of this ... [10 chains, miss 10 stitches, 1 sc] repeat. After 5 rows, I did one more row where the sc joined the first row and last row to make a 6 strand tube which I wrapped around and sewed together.

I then attached it to the bottom of the fan pattern with a whip stitch.
 
Not perfect - look at the third image above  - I don't like how the strip crosses my wrist
So ...
... I am starting a new one ... I am really liking the Artesano yarn and will actually use the Turkish Knot tutorial found by Beau Baby for the cuff. Watch this space ...
 








4 comments:

  1. I so wish you could write out the pattern for those wrist warmers...I can't make heads or tails of the Japanese pattern or the diagram! They are quite lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi! i'm here to second liza; I have no idea how to figure this out on my own. i'll try to understand what you did but i'm very new to crocheting so I need help =(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure why things get posted with no instructions.........??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found this:
    Pink and gray wrist warmers


    I can try to help you but I am a noob at crochet and my Korean is shaky!
    The main thing she stresses is the turning of the work is different in the project but after you get the pattern down, it should be easy.
    "This yarn is called 'Cool Mesh(?), 100% rayon. It flows beautifully after a wash. Looking at thread this beautiful leaves me mesmerized"
    She writes, "Each row alternates color but you do not turn the project with each color. After a row of pink, do not turn the project, instead crochet a row of gray, then turn the project, and repeat."
    Referring to the first graphic pattern->"If you look at the traditional graphic pattern, you can see that rows 1 and 3 is moving from right to left and rows 2 and 4 is moving from left to right. Crochet the 1st row starting from the right, while reading to the left. Turn the project and crochet the 2nd row starting from the left while reading to the right"
    Referring to the graphic pattern for this project (2nd chart photo)-> "However, can you see that this graphic pattern is different? Rows 1 &2 are the same direction and Rows 3&4 is moving in the same direction"
    Combined with this and using the crochet chart symbol chart, I think you can do it!



    ReplyDelete