Saturday 1 December 2012

November Round-up

November has been busy, busy which I have to admit is just how I like it. I am not an autumn/winter kinda gal. I find the dark mornings, grey days and dark nights tip me into a low, gloomy mood if I'm not careful so the busy is always good especially since the weather has been absolute pants recently.

So what have I been up to ...

... crochet ...
I was obsessively crocheting this month in preparation for the Made-It-Market which I blogged about. One of the main things I have learnt this month is that, for me, the quality of the wool I use is everything!
I have been working on a project which requires 10 inch squares so I thought I would use up my stash of acrylics. I have made 5 so far ... and I have to say I am hating the acrylic I am using. It feels absolutely disgusting ... It was a cone of gifted pink acrylic and the colour is really nice so I have kept it all this time but after this project is finished, I'll take it a charity shop.   
So I've started a little in-between project using 2 different Alpacas and a 4mm hook.
 Last Christmas, I received a skein of Classic Elite Yarns Alpaca Sox in Fruit Salad from my sisters and recently my mother gave me a ball of Hjertegarn Alpaca Silk in 1890 a deep pink.
I had seen this image on Pinterest and loved the pattern ... I got it slightly wrong in that I did a dc instead of a deep sc in between the fans but I still like it. 
Crochet Mittens - Chart 

... lectures ...
Work had a People Matter week this month so I went along to a lunchtime lecture by Dr Jan Van Niekerk called Positive Thinking, Positive Action: from Stress to Strength. It was a very interesting lecture and two specific points intrigued me. 
The first was when he discussed the negative thought distortions that often accompany feelings of stress. He highlighted the need to question the negative thinking .. and, most importantly, to articulate an alternative perspective. He quite rightly said you can't replace something with nothing. Obvious really when you think of it ...
The second point was about the importance of Social Support and crucially that it has to be perceived as supportive.  

All in all not the best lecture I have been to but it did make me think. I love it when someone makes me think :)
... watched ...
Oh my lordy lord, have I been watching this month.
A friend of mine recently introduced me to Breaking Bad. Without doubt one of the best television series I have ever seen!
I managed to work my way through the entire box set while crocheting this month. I think this is the first time I ever watched episodes back to back like this and it was a joy. I could completely immerse myself in the Breaking Bad world and watch the characters develop - it was fascinating ... and there was crochet in it! The White family sofa has a crocheted blanket on it! Sarah London has created a pattern for it.

I genuinely can't wait until the next episodes come out. Roll on Summer 2013!   
I would be far more upset if it weren't for the fact that this has now started ... another absolute joy of a programme. Saturday nights are sorted ...
 

What's coming up in December?

I have to admit I don't usually invest too much in Christmas, I usually volunteer for Crisis at Christmas. This year I'm doing all 8 days at one of the residential centres and the Kid goes off to her Dad's. A few weeks ago, the Kid told me she wanted to have a cosy Christmas this year. So Operation Koselig starts today ...

No comments:

Post a Comment